For the last 15 years, Cheryl fulfilled her promises:
Improved & Expanded Services
Fought for Tax Relief
A resident of the Bay Area since 1983, Cheryl E. Johnson is a courageous, energetic and experienced leader. With over 41 years experience in real estate, government, tax and legislative activities, she is devoted to serving the people of Galveston County.
- Elected in 1994 to the Clear Creek Independent School District Board of Trustees where she worked tirelessly to bring accountability to Texas school districts and to protect the rights of parents and children. During two terms, Cheryl served as Secretary, President two years and was also appointed to represent CCISD on the Galveston Central Appraisal District Board of Directors where she served as Chair for one year.
- Defeated costly bond proposal that would have increased taxes $0.21 and would not have fulfilled the needs of the community then facilitated a team of community leaders that developed a bond at half the cost that served more students and resulted in a $0.06 tax rate increase! That same year, trustees approved adoption of a 10% local option homestead exemption fulfilling one of Cheryl’s first campaign promises which was to reduce taxes.
- The first Republican woman elected to a county-wide seat in 2004, she became the highest “vote getter” of any Galveston County race and maintains that record today!
- Cheryl has served as Galveston County “Cut Tax” Assessor/Collector with passion and commitment, participating in efforts to bring about meaningful property tax relief over the last 25 years (see Taxpayer Advocacy below). She stood beside Americans for Prosperity Texas Director, Peggy Venable, in opposition to taxpayer funded lobbying and is hopeful House District 23 Representative Mayes Middleton’s HB 281 will finally prohibit this form of government abuse. She has been firmly grounded in supporting voter approved limits on tax rate increases for all Texas governments believing that this is the most local control of all.
- Appointed by Governor Rick Perry to the newly created Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Board as the County Tax Assessor representative. She served two years as Vice Chair.
- Has taught thousands of property owners how to protest their property values thus lowering their tax burden
Cheryl E. Johnson has continued to prove her commitment to representing the best interests of Galveston County and Texas taxpayers. An uncompromising leader and dedicated public servant who has – and will continue – to stand boldly on conservative values, she is always focused on doing what is right.
"I'm pleased to endorse my friend Cheryl E. Johnson for re-election. She is a rarity - an elected official who puts taxpayers first."
-Former United States Congressman Ron Paul-
Cheryl has tirelessly and actively supported property tax reforms, many that have now become law including:
Cheryl has fought for lower appraisal caps, successfully reduced number of years sales may be used to increase values, supported stricter guidelines to prevent increases by the ARB and after a successful protest and so much more.
Cheryl fought for years for disaster reappraisals to be automatic which, thanks to passage of Prop 3 in November, is now law. She fought to insure values after repairs were limited by the homestead appraisal cap (10% per year).
LIMITED GOVERNMENT SPENDING
Cheryl testified in support of reduced spending caps on government and automatic elections for many years and these finally passed in the 86th Session! She has fought against taxpayer funding for more than 12 years!
VETERAN TAX REFORMS
Cheryl secured the quarter payment option for disabled vets and their surviving spouses, provided expert testimony to allow 100% disabled vets to be totally exempted from property taxation (which resulted in a Constitutional Amendment) and, most recently, worked to align State and Federal law for military deferral of taxes. She has been a staunch advocate of our military!
IMPROVED PAYMENT OPTIONS
Cheryl made split/half payment of taxes possible again in Galveston County (after allowing opt out of governments in consolidated tax offices), extended disaster installments to all property owners, helped reduce interest rate on late installments and deferred taxes and allowing tax collectors to offer low penalty installment agreements for homeowners. She is a true advocate for taxpayers!
Cheryl supported voter ID, helped establish mandatory volunteer deputy registrar training to protect voters, helped secure additional funding for County Voter Registration offices and simplified the process to obtain a replacement voter certificate. Internally, she requires audits of the voter rolls on a regular basis and has eliminated delays associated with housing growth across the county. Cheryl also continues to push for removal of noncitizen voters from the roll.
Continue the Success! Get involved!
No matter the level of elected office, successful campaigns require both time and money. It takes a dedicated army of volunteers to win an election. Whether block walking, making calls, hosting events or contributing financially, your help is needed and appreciated! Sign up by completing the form below or emailing Cheryl at cuttax2020.outlook.com.
PPA Cheryl E. Johnson Campaign
Don Johnson, Treasurer; 810 Myrtlewood Drive, Friendswood, Texas 77546